Brooks Running

Monday, January 7, 2013

Getting back on my horse

Yesterday marked my first day back in training in many weeks. Having spent the last couple of months in physical therapy / recovery mode I am not willing to lose any more time to injury. My plan for the next 18 weeks is to be smart and slowly build up my strength and speed over a longer period of time. I have 18 weeks. I normally can get into fantastic shape in 10-12 weeks, so I am going to take advantage of the extra 6 weeks or so and focus on building a stronger base before launching into my exhausting schedule of intense training. My first major change in my training is going to be how I approach the long run. For the first phase (4-6 weeks) My long run of 10 - 12 miles is going to be more of a march. I tend to push too hard on my long runs. For this first phase in my training I will not be using the finish faster, or the middle mile tempo run that I have historically been doing on my long run. The long run for the next 6 weeks will be a simple easy 2-3 minutes slower than race pace run focused on just putting in some steady easy mileage. I am also going to slow down my mile repeats for the first 4 weeks to a pace that is just below half marathon pace / maybe 10k pace. The goal is to get my body re adjusted to my training schedule and slowly crank up the pace as my strength returns. I plan on using a tempo run of 6 miles, short sprints and hill repeats to round out my training. When the time comes I am going to push myself deeper into the interval and speed work, focusing on developing my 5k speed. My first race is in 10 weeks, and I plan on being sharp, fit, and fast by May. First things first, slow and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment