Brooks Running

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Test

On October 7th I take my first step towards my goal of being a competitive masters runner. I know I will never be an elite master, or even a sub elite master at this point, but if all things continue the way they have been progressing I will definitely be competitive on the local level and perhaps even as a regional age grouper. Turning 40 in a year and two weeks affords me another year of training as a non masters runner and another attempt at the Chicago marathon next year, one week before my 40th birthday. When I decided to take on the marathon, I knew that there was no other distance that My training this year has been flawless. My two minor injuries came when I should have been paying better attention to my body and I have learned a valuable lesson from this. As I wrap up my first real season of training in 20 years (I started getting back into shape 3 years ago) I have a huge feeling of accomplishment and an even greater feeling of hope for the future. On October 7th my goal time is within my reach, but I recognize that 26.2 miles is still a great challenge. I am not putting myself out there to leave everything on the streets of Chicago this year, but to grow from the experience and work towards my greater goal. I know that endurance is something built over the years, and that the marathon will humble you if you do not treat it with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment