Brooks Running

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Adopting Elite Plans To An Average Runner

I am the type of guy who has a problem with being average. I am not elite at anything. This realization came early on in college when my above average High School 800 meter / mile times were enough to get me on the college track team as a walk on, but not enough to even get the middle distance coach to remember my name. I gave up on being obsessed with running shortly there after. I still to this day have a hard time just being good at things. Being above average is even more of a curse. Above average translates to having some talent, but not enough to do anything with it. After a long bunch of years away from running, I am back at it with my long term goal of being a halfway decent age grouper /masters runner by 40. I am 38 years old and might not be able to run sub 1:55 800s, or 35 minute 10ks anymore, but what I can do is bring an obsessive goal related hunger and drive to the table that is insatiable. I feel that in this past Fall and Winter I built a strong enough base to work from. I am ready to work hard. I am confident that as I go deeper into my training for the Chicago Marathon, I will be able to stay healthy and achieve my goals. The question that I can't wait to answer is What can you do with the mind of an Elite and the body of an above average 38 year old?

No comments:

Post a Comment