Brooks Running

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Snags

One of the reasons I keep a detailed training journal is to remind myself that I am human.   Looking back on the last couple of cycles I have found a very important piece of useful information. I have a hip injury right now.  I know why, and am doing everything I can to speed my recovery.  The funny thing is that  during the last 3 of my training cycles one month before my race I have injured myself.  The data proves it, and points me directly at the cause of this current injury.
Looking at the data, I can see where I go wrong every time.  By this point in the cycle I feel really strong, and wind up upping my speed workouts, or in the case of this current cycle my intensity, and hill training.  I am going to use this data in the future and see if I can manipulate my training so that I peak earlier and avoid this prolonged state of feeling like I am holding back the horses a couple weeks too long.  I am thinking that I will shorten my marathon period to 10 or 11 weeks.  Luckily for me I am still on target with my training for RB and I only missed one of my prescribed miles last week.  I ran 44 instead of 45.. Big deal.  As long as I change up my reckless behavior and return to my plan I will be fine.
In response to this injury I now need to focus my training around 7 days on and 2 days off.  I have not been getting enough rest days in between the intensity and its taking its toll on my body.   I have been doing 5 or 6 days on, and for the last 2 weeks my only day off has been while driving 800 miles in a car.  Okay, big mistake, I got it.  I will not make this mistake again in the fall.
I have 86ed the Reeds Lake Challenge until after the RB and am planning on running none of my miles under 7 mpm until my next training cycle.  Its obvious that its time to run a little faster, but its also painfully obvious that I can not do this at the end of a long build up.  Lets leave the horses in the barn for a little longer and I am sure I will be able to utilize their power come race day.
I am hoping that these 2 days off will act as a reminder to me that staying on target is the philosophy that I live by, and that I do not need to learn this lesson the hard way.  I should be excited to know that my body is ready to run, and save all my pushing for the morning of RB.  So, here is to a second day of rest, rejuvenation and hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment