Brooks Running

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Summer, DNF, Moving On

So...I walked off the course at the 5k mark. I have never done this before, but oddly enough I feel fine with the decision that I made. I have been working my ass off for months without a real break, and ironically enough my break was going to start today, but came about 19 minutes earlier than planned. Sometimes your body and mind do not play well together. I need a week to heal, get my mind and body back in the game and restart the bus. I have decided that racing in the summer is no good for me. Training can be done at night or early in the morning, but racing always seems to be in above 80 degree temperatures, something I have never been able to handle. So, moving on, I am going to plan my racing for 2013 in the early spring and fall. April May October November.. I can plan 2 separate peaks, enjoy cross training in the summer,and enjoy myself while racing. Pulled out the swim goggles, and might jump in the pool for some easy swimming tonight. My bicycle is calling me too, but these 100 degree days keeps me inside. I am enjoying my week off, eating whatever I want to, drinking beer for breakfast, and relaxing before the marathon mileage hammer starts to fall. I love base training. I am glad to have run a pretty decent 10k this year, and will continue to test my fitness with the distance throughout my marathon build up. For now, I rest and enjoy a week without running.

No comments:

Post a Comment