Brooks Running

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Me Bonk You Long Time

Last night I experienced the most intense Bonk of my life. Definition of Bonk: The feeling of weakness caused in a drop in blood sugar during extended physical activity. Also know as 'the sags', 'the knock' and 'hit the wall, hitting the wall'. I have been having issues with managing my nutrition and 9 miles into my 13 mile run I ran head first into a wall. This normally does not happen on a run of this length but I was not prepared to go on a medium distance run on a reduced calorie diet. I made the mistake of thinking that my 10k training cycle required far less carbohydrates than my previous 25k training cycle did. I guess I was wrong. Normally I would be feeling crushed by a failed run and having to walk the last 3 miles, but in reality I feel pretty good about what happened. The writing is on the wall so to speak, and every opportunity I have to learn a major lesson I need to listen carefully. In 6 weeks when marathon training begins and the medium distance runs become a little longer and the 3 hour long distance runs begin I am going to address this issue like a scientist. If I am going to successfully run 26 miles, I am going to have to learn how to train my body to efficiently use energy and also how to properly eat on the run. Now for the good part.. I ran the first 10k a little bit slower than MP, and felt so strong in the hills that I ran a negative split for the last 3 miles of that section. The track sessions and the higher threshold training have been working. All this track work is going to make me a better long distance runner. Here is to learning how to eat. Here is the first part of the run followed by the bonk.. This is what a bonk looks like This is what the other 6.2 looked like

No comments:

Post a Comment