Brooks Running

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Duality

I love my mountain bike. I feel that biking is the closest thing an adult can do to feel like a kid again. Maybe dancing falls into that same category too who knows. When the mountain bike comes out of garage each year a nagging battle begins inside my head between the runner and the biker. The biker likes it hard, fast and without limits. The runner gradually builds endurance, speed, and slowly arrives at his/her peak. I am in the middle of moving towards my peak, but I need to remind myself to be careful here. I get such an emotional charge out of being on my bike that I wind up damaging myself making it more difficult to run. With an entire year dedicated to training for different racing distances it leaves little time for the aggressive biker to come out and play. My mantra this week is 'stay on target, stay on target.' I think next year I might try to mix up my training and racing to include a 50 -100 mile mountain bike race or xterra type off road tri into the mix. I feel it calling me. I can still build my base all winter race in the early spring, ride hard all summer and train for a fall race without burning out or breaking a limb... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment