Brooks Running

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Time To Get SERIOUS

Racing in the heat does not do much for me. I did not expect to run a PR in the 90 degree Chicago heat, so before I even started to race I chalked this run up as a training workout. One thing that I gained from this weekend was that I am in better shape than I thought I was. As I watched Hs cross country boys pass out and vomit 1 and a half miles into the race (we were only running 6:20 pace) I realized that I have built a pretty strong and stable running base in the last 4 months. PRs come on perfect days following perfect weeks of training. I have to remember that you sometimes need to look deeper into your runs and see other goals that are being met. The heat, and running in the heat has always been a problem for me. I know this, so I am starting to run one of my runs per week at the heat of the day. One of my goals for the summer is to learn to embrace the heat, and try to understand how my body runs in the heat and not always be trying to master it. Its like learning to run at a faster pace, if you don't train at sub 6 minute miles you are never going to run sub 6 minute miles. I am trying to condition myself to stop thinking about the PR as much as thinking about having the best run for the given conditions. Today also marks the beginning of Time to get serious mode. I have cut my mileage for the past 2 weeks since River Bank and now its time to start slowly building it back up so that in July I can start my high mileage marathon training with a good base. Next up, the Reeds Lake 10k June 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment