Brooks Running

Friday, May 25, 2012

10k Week 2 (8 days until Race #2)

I am racing more this summer than I normally would do. I would like to run 3 more 10ks this summer before I switch over to the longer marathon specific training in July. Yesterday I completed my first full week of 10k specific training. I ran one of most brutal long runs of my life. 18 miles in 90 degree heat pushed my body to the edge. The first 11 miles were no problem, but after my glycogen stores ran out I became a weak mess. Im still no good past 90 minutes, but we will start to address that in our marathon training. This week I am going to do my normal track workout on Monday, a medium easy run on Wednesday with some strides on Saturday leading up to the Memorial day 10k. Historically this race is hot and humid so I am going to shoot for a relaxed, evenly pace race with the hopes of bringing my post 35 pr down only a couple of seconds. I will have 30 days to sharpen myself up for the following race where I plan to run a giant pr. But, as things go, you never know what is going to happen on any given day. My nutrition is going to be a huge factor in my training this summer. I am going to focus on giving my body exactly what it needs to perform at a higher level. I have to do whatever I can to give myself an edge here. I am trying to rest, stretch, eat well, hydrate and train the best that I can do. Here is how the week went down: Monday Workout - 11 400m @ 5:30 -6:02 pace w/ 200m recovery jog. No stopping.. I feel comfortable at 5:45 pace for this workout. I love and hate this workout.. Having only a 200 meter jog to recover makes this harder than you would think. 1.25 Warm up / 1.25 Cool down Felt great.. A little hip tension but I think that is from being tired from the 18 on Saturday. My quads hurt.. I need to make sure I recover 100 percent from this workout before next week. Tuesday - Shakeout.. Trying to see if a 3 mile shakeout or rest helps me recover faster.. Running the day after a track workout is pretty much an uncomfortable affair. Anyhoo.. I did 3 and am feeling pretty good today. Going to do a medium run tonight and then do strides and sharpen up for Monday. Wednesday - A horrible 10k with the Striders group in 85 degreeish temps. I hate heat. I am reduced to pure crap in the heat. We all ran like total shit, barely holding it together at 7:45 pace. Come to find out we were under a bad air pollution day.. Go figure. I felt terrible all day. Maybe this is why. Trying to decide whether or not I am going to drop down to the 5k this weekend or stick to the 10k. Temps on Saturday are going to be 94 in Chicago so I can't imagine them being very good in the morning unless there is rain.. Run a balls out 5k? Maybe? We will see. Thursday - Day off with a drive to the country. Little lunch with my lady and girls.. A little porch sittin with friends at night maybe.. Nice.. Friday - Warm up - Strides at race pace cool down Beets?

No comments:

Post a Comment