Brooks Running

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Beast Mode

I just returned from my 5 am recovery run.  The temperature this morning was a blustery 54 degrees.  I feel like we have almost made it out of winter, and am crossing my fingers for only a few more weeks of cold mornings.
Beast mode has begun for the Riverbank run. T minus 9 weeks and counting.  I am feeling really good.  Last night's tempo run took place on the hills and I ran 3 of the 4 miles in 7:14 6:45 6:19.. Yep.  The first mile was uphill around 8:14 pace and I laid off a little bit but still pushed strong up the hills.   I have been modifying my original plan on tempo days, but making sure I hit my marks.  I feel that fast mile repeats are just as important as tempo pace 3-4 mile runs.  As my race gets a little closer I am going to start focusing more on MP runs with finish fast progressive runs run from MP down to 5k pace at the end of my long runs. 
I bought a new pair of trainers to put into the mix and hopefully save my legs a bit.  They feel a little heavy on
my feet, but very comfortable.  I feel like my feet are in a Cadillac, well built, lots of power, compared to the little Ferrari racing flats I have been doing 99% of my running in.
Been trying to get as much hill work in as possible this month.  I am running a modified hill section from the Riverbank run in my training.  I am adding about 3 miles of other hills to the mix just to add variety to my runs.
I am climbing.  The 4 miles of rolling hills from 8-12 miles should be a breeze when I get done with the next 2 months.  After I return from my trip to the Catskills I am sure my calves will be huge and my confidence level even larger.
Nutritionally speaking I am  starting to get serious about things.  Carbo loading lunches, large salads for dinner, and simple high protein (including muscle milk) simple breakfasts.  I am excited to be scientific about my nutrition and eat what I need when I need it.  I am ready to roll.. Beast Mode... BEAST Mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment