Brooks Running

Thursday, January 26, 2012

2012 Begins

Its safe to say that we have now reached the middle of winter.  After a couple of cold 5 degree weeks our very mild temperatures have returned and its time to start training for the Riverbank Run.  I took off 3 weeks from running in January partly because of the dangerously cold weather, and partly for a little pang of  pain in my right knee.  I was able to keep most of my post 2010 fitness level this winter running 25 -30 miles a week for the past 9 weeks.  Historically I have never been able to get very fit in the wintertime.  The idea of racing in May has always been more about seeing where I am at fitness wise than training hard and racing on race day.  I am hoping that this year will prove to be a new chapter in my running life.
2012 is the year of the marathon. 26.2 miles of ready or not here I come mileage.  Having a sub 3 hour marathon goal by 40 is a lofty goal but within reach if I steadily progress over the next 3 years.  I plan on running a sub 3 hour marathon on or before the 2014 Chicago Marathon.  There, I said it.  So, what do I do today?
This year is all about building the base.  Base is not all about high mileage and raw effort, base equals a more holistic approach to training that focuses my training around focusing on giving my body and mind exactly what it needs to reach my final goal.  Running 80 miles a week is not something a normal person does to their body.  But, there is nothing that says that it can't be done with a good strong diet of raw and whole foods, a ton of extra rest, yoga, and spiritual well being.  I believe that building a strong base can guide anyone into a training phase and transform them into a living breathing super human.

No comments:

Post a Comment